Sunday, November 30, 2014

Dear Santa,


I've never written a letter to Santa. I've never believed in Santa. My daughter is celebrating her second Christmas I started to wonder about what I'm going to teach my daughter about Christmas.

She's a December baby so she wasn't aware of the festivities on her first Christmas but as she has  grown over the year she has become a sponge of all that is around her.  For the last few years my husband and I didn't even put up a Christmas tree or decorate. It was just the two of us and we were not home to celebrate because as a couple without children we did the running around.

As I considered what we were going to do about decorations and such I started to wonder what am I going to teach my daughter about Christmas. The older I get the more or seems that people are just worried about what they're getting from "Santa". I never believed in "Santa". My older brother did but according to my parents it was short lived. Maybe as my older brother he thought he was helping me with (future) disappointment in life or my parents decided it wasn't worth it.  I always knew he, as in a fat guy who came down the chimney to drop off presents, wasn't real.

From a fairly early age I was taught why Christmas is celebrated. As an adult it means much more to me now then it ever has. As a kid and even as a teen I was aware of the why but never really took the time to really think about it. My parents were the kind of people who went to church at Easter and Christmas, they didn't push it. They did work hard to make sure we got most of what we wanted.  We always got at least one gift from Santa but I knew that he wasn't real and that my parents had just put "Love, Santa" on a special gift.  

I don't think that my husband and I are going to teach my daughter to believe in Santa but she will know who he is.  To us it is more important that we teach her what Christmas is really about not about what to expect.  I know that we have great a great support group who respects the decisions that we make about what we teach to her.  

So sorry Santa, you probably won't really be getting letters from my child (or other future children).

No comments:

Post a Comment